If you are operating in an industry some would consider to be “high risk”, such as the vapor industry, you cannot afford to make mistakes in any area of your business, especially in the hiring process. Just a single bad hire can cost a company tens of thousands of dollars in wasted wages and time and, in many cases, a bad hire or two can be the difference between a successful year and disastrous one.
Of course, while there is risk there is also opportunity and hiring a great employee can help boost your company and take it to a new level. One of the most important parts of the hiring process is the interview; by asking the right questions, you can find out more about their character and history, probe their weaknesses and get to understand their strengths better.
Have a look at these 7 “Must Ask” interview questions in which we’ve grouped into 3 different categories:
A Great Interview Starts with a Great Job Ad
The ad that you place to search for a candidate is the first step and one that sets you up to be ready for the interview. Here you should make it clear that you are looking for a superstar performer who is willing to work hard and produce excellent results. By saying this upfront you should already catch the eye of the people who consider themselves to be performers while lesser candidates are put off which will save you time by giving you less people to interview.
Once you’re in the interview, you can now challenge people to explain how they believe they’re a superstar. These are tough questions but strong performers will have the confidence to answer well:
- Our ad says we’re only looking for superstar performers- why do you think this description applies to you?
- Tell us about a time in your recent career where you’ve performed above and beyond expectations.
Find Out More About Their Background
Someone who is a strong performer and has the discipline and confidence to master a new job will frequently display this in other areas of their life. By asking questions about what they have achieved elsewhere and the lessons they have learned, you will not only see how strong of an achiever they are but you can also get to know them better, which will help you decide if you want to work with them:
- In what areas of your life outside of work have you achieved a high level of mastery?
- What do you consider to be your four biggest achievements in life?
Ask Them to Rate Themselves
Asking a candidate more about their own strengths and weaknesses will help paint a picture of how they will fare in your organization. If you are interested in this candidate, you can then follow up the information they have given you with the references they provided to see if it is accurate:
- What is the biggest mistake you’ve made in business? How did you learn from it?
- Rate yourself from 1 to 10 in the following areas (Give them a list of skills you consider important to the job- for example: confidence, time management, stragey, etc.)
- What would you describe as your biggest weakness and how do you overcome it in the workplace?
They key to these seven great interview questions is that they do not allow for a one-word answer. By requiring someone to open up and tell you more about themselves, you will gain insight into a potential employee, which will hopefully lead to you having all the information you need in order to hire a “superstar”.